Thursday, December 11, 2008

The value of peer editing

I've been working on a paper now for several months regarding Abigail Adams and her place in history. The more I've worked on it, the less I see that is wrong with it, and thus, I run out of things to fix. Tonight I dragged my buddy with me to Starbucks where for the price of a cup of coffee I got a lot of help and insight into my writing.

When I got home, I took a moment to think: it was THIS helpful for me...a college kid who has always written fairly well then how helpful would it be for students in a classroom?

I remember not really liking 'peer editing' but there are ways to make sure that it is helpful for both the writer AND the editor. I think that it will be really important for me to continue to figure out ways for students to understand that it is okay to ask for help from people when it comes to their writing.

How can we as teachers help students to have opportunities to have peers review their writing?

What are some ways that we can encourage students to have others review their writing even when it is not required?

What forms might help students give helpful and insightful comments to other students?


No comments: