Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Role Model-ization

I think that we, as adults (I still have yet to actually accept this role completely. To myself I am still little enough to not be the "a" word...) often forget that we are important role models for kids. I am in the process of speaking with one of my lacrosse kids via IM, and she just told me that I'm her hero. That means more to me than I ever have hope of expressing through words...especially written words...but it made me think of a lot of things. I didn't set out to be her hero - just her coach. It was my goal to make sure that she was the best goalie that she could be, that she learned to love lacrosse, and enjoyed spending time with her team. I'm leaving a set of girls that I've grown really close to now (my going-away party is next week) and it tears me up inside. But, I think that for some of them ... losing me is harder on them than it is for me to lose them. She is worried if I'll remember them - and her, and will I tell my new teams about her and the team? It got me thinking of the role models and heroes I had when I was in middle and high school...and I think that these people are who I owe my life as it is now to in many ways...

Mr. Perfors, Mr. Kipp, and Mr. Gorr - A whole host of fantastic history teachers that made me love the subject and helped me develop confidence in myself.

Russ- A former music teacher who worked with me a lot in marching band...and was always a great friend to me. He's now the dean at the school that I'll be working at, which rocks!

Sean- My lacrosse coach who always pushed me to be my best and even wiped away my tears when I was one of the last kids cut from Team Colorado.

Although there were many more...these five men really helped shape who I am, and I am thankful for that.

I think that teachers need to make sure that they're helping kids when they need it. Kids have tough days (and tough months, years, and lives) and they often need someone to help them get up on their feet and stay there. I want to strive to be that person as often as I can.

No comments: