Wednesday, November 26, 2008

breaks and homework

So, I'm home for my last Thanksgiving break as a student, which is kind of weird. Anyway, I have massive amounts of homework to do - thus taking away time that I get to spend with my family and/or friends that I haven't really seen that much since I moved to school. Why do teaches insist on assiging homework over breaks. Yea, the students have time to work on it, but shouldn't they be allowed to relax? I'm pretty sure that is why a break is created for kids - and teachers...just to give some time off so that school can be more productive.

When I was a freshmen at CSU, a good friend of mine was killed in an avalanche. I've dealt with deaths before - of people I care about from my own grandparents, to a friend's mother, as well as a few aquaintences...and nothing has hit me as hard as losing Patrick. I can't think of a single day that I don't think about him and his family. Although this isn't directly related to giving homework, I've never treasured life on earth so much as the years following the death of my friend. Life is sometimes too short, and you never know when something might hit like that...it makes me think that the time that students get to spend with their families is that much more important ... and although we all love our subjects - sometimes it is the simple things in life that are the most important. As teachers, I think we owe some time to the kids.

that's all for now.

No comments: