Sunday, November 2, 2008

Election Tuesday!

I love being wrapped up in future history. Like right now, we're in the center of it with this big election. I've been following and chronicling for many many months now, and it is really hard for me to believe that it is about to come to an end. As I was pondering a lesson I may be teaching on Tuesday in a history class, I don't wonder if we should all take a moment to talk about the election in our classes?

Last thursday, I spent nearly an hour explaining political parties, the electoral college, and other election-related things to kids in the US history class I work in. It was amazing to me that they knew as little as they did about our political system...but then I thought for a moment and came to this realization: I know so much about the government because I love politics and government! By the time kids are in high school, chances are they will have had four or five presidential elections go on IN THEIR WHOLE LIFE! This isn't a yearly thing by any means ---

By the time we're adults...we get sick of the advertisements and constant "breaking news" that isn't breaking or news, and we want the election to come so we can vote, become happy or sad, and move on with our lives. Some students feel that way too, no doubt. However, there are a lot of kids who just want to understand what is going on...so my question is this:
Why not spend some time in ANY classroom helping kids to understand our system of government? Won't this help their education ... and their want/need to vote?

Here is a list of things the kids thought on Thursday about our system of gov't (they're juniors in HS)
-If you register for a political party, you HAVE TO vote for them when you cast your ballot
-Electoral College = Popular vote
-You have to register with a party when you register to vote
-You have to tell people how you voted when they ask (esp. parents!)
-The states that are "blue" or "red" will FOR SURE go that way in the election
-What do you mean that Bush didn't win the popular vote in 2000??? (this made me feel old)
-There are only two political parties that have ever mattered
-It is not ok to be an independent voter
-You can't change your political affiliation once you register
-What happens to you if you don't vote?
-What happens if you get in line and then the polls close?
-Does everyone get the same ballot?
There were more, but I can't think of them at the time.



That's all for now...but I'm still thinking!!

No comments: