Friday, October 31, 2008

Student Teach Much?

Today I get to go meet with the teachers that I'll be student teaching with. I'm really excited to have two - I think it will allow me to learn a lot...seeing two different styles and such.

I had one teacher in HS and really loved his class(es). I think that he is one of the reasons that I grew to love history as much as I do. From the time that I was little I think that I have wanted to be a teacher in one way or another...at least spaced with Vet (when you don't want to put down dogs, that dream ends pretty fast) or and aerospace engineer like my grandfather (interesting how that blows up when you hate math...haha). But, I think that my teachers in late MS and HS helped me fall in love with the past. That aside, I'm really excited to work with him. He's always been a good mentor for me, and I'm already comfortable in his classroom. I think that I'll be able to learn and grow immensely in the semester following January.

I also get to work with a teacher that I never had, which is good too. He teaches US history (vs. World...that'll be my other classes) and used to coach. I want to coach lacrosse, so working with someone who has taught and coached will help me to understand the time commitments and how to better figure out the balance of the two. It will also be nice to have someone that I've never met to interact with - and I am really looking forward to it.

Plus, I've got some coaching stuff going on which makes me happy. I've got a new little 8th grade team, which I am excited about...and I'll also be helping out at the HS level. Although I know it'll be tough to balance the two, I want to know what it feels like, and my teachers are okay with it, so here we go. I figure, my new little lax team won't know any of my drills and stuff, so working with them will be pretty easy as far as practice planning and stuff...they won't be bored of my stuff yet!! : )

Sometimes it is hard to be in school still. Hard to focus - hard to go to 'regular' history class. I find myself wayyy more interested in my education classes right now, and that makes it hard to make room for my Slavery in the Americas class. The class is interesting, but I really can't stand some of the people in there who continually talk and answer questions and ASK questions about everything ALL THE TIME! Although frustrating...I've learned that I've got to be in control of students like that when I'm teaching so that other students don't get totally wound up.
Hahaha.

No comments: