Thursday, October 30, 2008

Controversial Issues In The Classroom...

With the election right around the corner, we had the opportunity to discuss in methods class about bringing controversial issues into a Government or Civics classroom.

I really feel like students need to learn how to deal with controversial while they're in school. It may be hard for a teacher to regulate - but I believe that it is essential that the kids learn how to function. When they're adults, the world isn't going to be a happy place where everyone believes the same thing. However, as teachers, I think we're responsible to help students learn how to deal with their ideas and emotions in a calm and collected way.

If a 'debate' of issues is going on in the classroom, I think that it is important that ground rules are set. When a discussion is going on and ground rules don't exist, the potential for ugly things to happen very quickly.

Another thing to think about is if teachers should reveal their political beliefs to their students. I don't know how I feel about this to be completely honest, and I suppose that it will take being in a classroom for a good amount of time before I figure that out.

If we tell students what we are, they'll be able to see through and bias that we might have. They'll also quit wondering what you are, and stop asking. I think that sometimes when kids don't identify politically with someone, that they can still learn that you're a good person. On the other hand, when the kids don't know...it is easy to play devil's advocate. Not only that, but it keeps the kids guessing, which can be very beneficial.

Sometimes I think there are so many things to think about...and Government classes bring up oh-so-many more.

No comments: