Monday, October 27, 2008

Unit Planning, the Model Citizen, and Life in General

Today in Methods class we learned (more) about unit planning. One student brought up the question of how long we should plan for each unit, which I am glad, because I wonder that too. It is hard to imagine what we're supposed to be doing when we don't get the opportunity to do it. Although, the unit that I'm putting together is helping some, and so are the lessons that I'm putting together for 450 class. Sometimes I think putting together my units is the thing that is most scary to me. BUT...I am determined to get it! :)

We were also asked today to write about the Model Citizen...and what that means to us. Sometimes I think better in lists, so here are the things that I think make a good citizen:
-They VOTE!
-They understand what they're voting for
-Participating in their local communities (schools, volunteering places, etc.) to help their communities remain strong.
-They understand how our government works
-Have a basic understanding of our nation's history
-Understand their state's history
-Patriotic

I think some more on that...I know there are more things I think about citiziens...


So, in the past year, I have been able to witness many important political events. This year is the first year I can vote in a presidential election. That being the case, I have been excited for next Tuesday since Bush was re-elected my senior year of HS. I have participated in everything I can possibly think of... partly because I want to do it...and partly so that my students will understand what the heck is going on.

It all began with the Democratic caucus in Colorado Springs. The Springs is a little on the psycho conservative side...and by psycho, I mean totally insane. It is, however, an environment that I was raised in, so I am somewhat comfortable with it. That being said, I didn't expect there to be THAT many people at the caucus. Boy was I wrong! There were hundreds of people of all ages and races, having discussion about Obama and Clinton. I clearly remember a few older women being for Hillary and talking to them about how energized the young people are for Barack. I could see the desire for a woman to be in control (something that I at times desire as well), but also an understanding of the power young folks can have. Ultimately, my group, and almost all of the others gave our 'vote' to Obama, much to my joy. I sent texts to my roommate who was in FOCO, and talked about our experiences. It made me proud to have participated. It was worth the random drive down to the Springs for the evening :).

In August, I was ever more excited that the DNC was in Denver. Slightly annoyed that class began that week and I couldn't sit perched in my living room listening to all the speakers and getting excited for November. However, we were lucky enough to get to go to Invesco and see Obama accept the nomination. I don't think that I have ever been in a stadium that has been quite that excited save the Rockies winning the play in game dramatically in the fall of 07. That, in all honesty, could have just been my own amped up excitement. Anyway, we got to see many great speakers including some of Martin Luther King Jr.'s children and Sheryl Crow sang. It was a day that I will never forget.

This past weekend, something that I think is quite amazing happened. Nine or so days before the election, Barack Obama came to Colorado State. A little town in northern Colorado and a little state school that doesn't have HUGE standing in the world. I was so excited!! C, S, K, and I stood in line beginning at 8:45 am. We then waited and waited and waited until we could get in to the oval. Bill Ritter spoke, and so did Betsy Markey. Everyone was completely energized, and when Obama came on stage, the oval pretty much erupted. It is amazing to feel the energy that follows Barack, and how excited so many people are about his potential to lead our country. This is the closest I've ever been to him, and I wish that I could have talked to him...but don't we all? Haha.


I'll finish my journey this January when I attend the Presidential Inauguration in Washington D.C. Regardless of who is elected, I am really excited to be a part of that, a once in a lifetime opportunity, I do believe.

No comments: