Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Ready to go?

So the countdown to my student teaching began when I first came to CSU in 2005, and it has been slowly moving semester by semester. Now, the number is down to a month and a few weeks which leaves me in several states.
1. Excitement
2. Complete and utter panic

I suppose these feelings are normal, but that doesn't mean that I enjoy being panicked. In fact, the most frustrating thing for me is not knowing what is going to happen to me after May, which oddly enough panics me more than anything. So, I go home for winter break and stay there through May, and I have two preps and four classes - that's fantastic. But then what? I have no clue. I want a high school job very much so. I love working with my junior high kids when I'm coaching, but I don't like them as much as I do high school kids. High School kids have issues with just about everything that you can think of...and I like that. I like helping them pick themselves up and reach higher than they thought that they could. Which I know is not for everyone, but that is always where my heart has been.

I am so excited to be in the classroom all the time. In fact, I have approximately a thousand things to do for my classes right now, but I can't think about the stuff I have to do without defaulting to my lesson plans for January. I'm going to get the class on day one, which is awesome and terrifying, and I need to finish all the stuff that I am doing before I start thinking about that (too much, anyway).

Perhaps one of the best things about the spring (besides getting to teach) is that I have the opportunity to coach as well. This is going to create a lot of work, but hopefully I'll get a coaching job along with my teaching job, so it is something that I feel like I should be experiencing. Besides, life for me without lacrosse would be somewhat destroyed and strange. The total upside is that I get to be head coach of an 8th grade team and be an assistant coach for the high school program that I went thorough which is awesome. I have a lot of respect for my coach and feel some sense of honor that I get to work with him again - on the other side of the line. He taught me a lot, and I am looking forward to what else I can learn from him.

The feelings of being really really excited and really really nervous leave me nothing but tired. I feel like I'm going to do just fine, but sometimes feeling that solves nothing.

No comments: