Monday, September 8, 2008

477: The Brain

Today in class we learned something that I often enjoy learning about : our brain. I'm not really into science things very often, but I think that how and why we think the way we do is really amazing. I enjoy learning about it, even when I'm learning the same things.

One of the most interesting things that we did today was look at these pictures that had two different thinkgs you can see...the most popular one is the "old woman/young woman" picture. I have always seen the young woman first...but when I see pictures like that, I flash back and forth, and it almost makes me sick to my stomach. It is interesting though, and fun to see who sees what.

I love to learn how the brains of others work - and I hope that I can continue to do this so that I can be a better teacher.

Today, we were asked to think about a memory we have in education - and then our class was surveyed about whether that memory was good or bad. I was surprised that most of the kids in class related to a bad memory. Mine was good...but I guess I've always really liked school and had good experiences. I think that is why I like schools so much, and why I want to be a teacher. However, for some people, I could understand how having a rough time in school would be the reason that you'd want to be a teacher...so that you can be better for kids in the future. Motiviation comes in all forms for all people I guess.

I wonder what the connection between the actual school facility has on people? If the environment was continually cold, or the desks were always broken...what would that do to people? Would it help them remember things they learn or distract them from what was going on in class?

So, as uninteresting as it may be...here are my memories good + bad. I'll try to add to them when I find or think of more. If I remember... : )

GOOD
-Math folders in Kindgergarten, and moving up to almost the end...getting to take them home to work on over the summer.
-Learning cursive in 3rd grade
-The zoo project, where my mom helped me to build my diorama in 3rd grade...I did the rhino (even though I badly wanted the hippo)
-French class after school enrichment
-Around the world day in Elementary School
-Making the "chorus" in Elementary School (a special singing group)
-Honor Bands
-Getting to pick out the French Horn as my instrument
-Advanced Reading class in 6th grade
-Sports teams
-Mr. Perfors' Social Studies class
-Honors and AP history classes in HS
-Lacrosse
-Getting to spend time with teachers who cared about me outside class...after school or when they came to my sports stuff or music things.
-Marching Band...and its sense of community



BAD
-Moving to a new school...I was really scared, not to mention furious with my parents
-Being chosen as a "dancer" for the 5th grade play by the music teacher I hated when I wanted to be a speaker...I told her "no thank you" for that position and she yelled at me...It was really hard for me to get up the nerve to tell her no, and I tried to be really nice, and she told me I was irrisponsible (even though I told her no thanks the day after the lists were posted)
-Having to pull a card in 4th grade, I was talking, but I was trying to help my friend Sarah...or she was trying to help me. I cried...
-Being told I couldn't sing.
-6th grade English...I had a teacher who treated me poorly
-Most math classes past 6th grade...the instruction and information was always difficult.
-Mr. Calvano not keeping my grades well - and having to get involved with that
-A coach encoraging me to cheat, and when I refused, yelling at me

I'm sure there are more for both the good and the bad.


How do we as teachers create GOOD emotional experiences for our students, and how can we refrain from creating BAD ones??

No comments: