Tuesday, September 30, 2008

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Okay.
One of my worst fears realized. Today. Awesome.

I've been working on this lesson for a World Geography class. They're sophomores, which really translates to "freshmen" in my past experiences...since they're 10-12 instead of 9-12. Anyway - I made this notes worksheet for the kids and learned about Tibet, etc. Then today, we had a guest speaker in OUR class, got out a little late, which is not what I wanted for my first HS lesson as being late really sends me off kilter. Then, I get into the classroom, and there is a girl who hasn't been in there ever since I've been in there - and she is deaf. I thought it would be okay, but in some ways I feel like I crashed and burned in so many ways...

I talk fast anyway...not because I'm nervous, but because I just do...so the signer had to slow me down, and eventually, we had to stop and wait for the girl who is deaf to finish writing after watching all the words I was saying. I don't mind waiting, and I understand why it is hard...but I didn't know what to do when we were all waiting. The silence was killing me. I felt so unprepared, even though it wasn't my fault.

I'm still flustered...but I learned a lot today. Like, if I knew she was in there, I would have given the girl who was deaf a worksheet that was filled out so that she could just watch the signer and learn.

okay.
I survived.
: )

No comments: