Wednesday, January 14, 2009

and...the ball starts rollin'

So today I only taught one class... as my other block had to go for scantron math testing. I'm really comfortable with the class I taught today. It is my most full, with about 34 students, but there is an energy, and I really click with the kids. I have to work hard to keep their attention and keep things moving, but once we get going, it goes well.

I've taught two 90 minute blocks, and so far....I think they've gone really really well. There are so many things I need to work on. Sometimes it is hard for me to not become disheartened as I really want to be the best person that I can be for the students. Whatever feelings I used to have about teaching being my calling have been completely reinforced with the past week of having students. Working with the kids leads me straight to a big smile, and a heart that knows I'm in the right place...which is one of the best feelings in the world...just below being loved. :)

Today we learned about China - I KNOW NOTHING! But, the lesson was successful, and I feel like the kids did well with it. They respond to me, and I've almost got all of their names down (thank god) and we're clicking well.

I need to catch up a little as I'm doing my lesson plans the night before, and it would be better for everyone if I could get it together a little faster/better. Hopefully I'll catch up to that train soon ... otherwise spring break is looking MIGHTY full of work...haha.

Things I have learned so far:
5:30 is REALLY early in the morning
Teachers hate bad leadership
Kids behave if you expect them to
You will answer the same question 500,000,000 times before the answer is finished
It means a lot to kids when you know WHO they are
I'm good at cracking into those kids who don't want to talk to anyone
I love this job
I need to make sure to establish the TIME PERIOD (duh!) when teaching

:)

1 comment:

Chels said...

hehehe, and how was the ming ping bing whatever "skip it" dynasty? ;)


In other news the letter thing you have to type in to post says "suckya".