Sunday, January 11, 2009

Gearing up for the first FULL week...

I'm not sure how it is possible to learn so much in so little time...but I really have. I've had the opportunity to teach four 50 minute classes and two 90 minute blocks. The timing etc went really well for the blocks, which I was pleased about.

But, here I sit...knee deep in Tokugawa era Japanese history trying to figure out the best way to present it to my students. I haven't had these kids yet, so we'll see how it goes. I miss the comfort of not having my "own" kids...but enjoy the freedom of having my "own" kids. Tomorrow I must brave the copy room - which makes me nervous too... I have had the opportunity to learn (and witness) all of the ways that it breaks. Ha ha ha. I am afraid of the copier.

I did some grading this weekend which was good. I realized that I need to set standards for myself BEFORE I create the assignment as I was reading through the questions and realized that I'm not sure what I was looking for - so how can I grade it? Haha. Oops. I think that I probably learned about that somewhere along the line, but obviously forgot it.

On the upside...I LOVE this job. I'm still new at it so I have a lot of butterflies and questions still, but I really think that this is going to be a great fit. I wish there was an easier way to go about things than falling on my face, but I am skilled at that...so I guess it doesn't matter :)

I leave for the presidential inauguration on Saturday morning, and I am thankful for the opportunity to attend as well as to help my students understand what is going on - and how important this particular inauguration is in the span of history.

That's all for now. I best get back to my activities etc. for tomorrow...
:)

No comments: