Sunday, January 4, 2009

Goals and such

So, since tomorrow is the big day, and I tend to be a fairly big goal-setter, I decided that it be appropriate to set some for my semester of student teaching...so here they are (in no real order).

1. Control the Classroom
This may seem somewhat obvious, but I think it is important for me to focus on. I'll be spending the rest of my life with groups of students under my control, and I think that we'll all be happier if I can manage the room. Am I worried about this? Not really. I have always done fine with my lacrosse girls (although that is always on a FIELD and not in a CLASSROOM). Some of my friends have asked me how my smallness changes the way I manage the classroom with all of the "big" high school kids, and my answer is always that it doesn't. Just because I am a small person doesn't mean that I don't have a big voice and a big presence. I will not stand for cell phones...that I can tell you right now.

2. Never stop being creative.
So far, whenever I get to work in the classroom (i.e. have my own lesson) I have worked really hard to make it fun and creative. I don't see this stopping as it is one of my favorite things to do ever - but just to make sure it doesn't, I'm setting it as a goal too. Kids deserve teachers who are excited about the subject that they're teaching and assignments/projects that are more fun and useful than the typical "take notes, take test" approach.

3. Find my teacher self.
I enjoy being in the classroom, but I have yet to have an every-day opportunity to work with kids. This is it, and I am stoked. I want to find out through this semester what I really want to be like in the future. Although we're always changing as people and as teachers, I hope to find a good grasp on who I am in the classroom and be able to share that when I'm getting ready for jobs.

4. Bring art and music into the classroom.
Art and music are an important part of culture, and although students are not in a 'culture' class, history and culture are completely intertwined. Also, music and art are things that they UNDERSTAND right now...so it will be easy for them to relate to. I think that it is imperative that kids learn to connect to the past, and I think this is one of the best modes to do so.

5. Keep reading and keep writing.
I love to write, both academically (no matter how much I whine about it, I love it) and personally. However, I often get bogged down with "other" things and forget to make time to write. Writing allows me to be reflective, which I think is a HUGE part of becoming a good teacher. I plan to keep this blog going as a space that will let me think no matter how small or how short. I also love to read, and even if it is a few pages a day, I should be reading something that I WANT to read.

6. Balance!
When I was in high school I did the works - honors classes, band, sports, etc. Since I've been at CSU, there haven't been as many things going on at one time as there were when I was in high school and I think that I've lost some of my ability to balance some. I want to get this back...I'll be coaching and teaching (something that I plan to do together forever) and it will take me a bit to get in the swing of things. I need to remember to make sure that I make time for my personal things too - as they are important to me AND they'll help to keep me sane.

7. Get back in shape.
This may not seem school related, but it really is. I always feel better about myself when I'm in good physical shape. The better I feel the better teacher I can become. This does not mean that I have to be ready to compete in the olympics, but a little bit 'o running would do me good. Yoga is good to clear my mind as well (something I think I'm going to need to work on so I can, you know, sleep).

8. Ask for help when I need it.
This can be really hard for me sometimes...not all the time, but sometimes I'm really stubborn about stuff and I need to stop that. I'm going to need a lot of help - from my friends and family as well as peers and collegues. I need to break down my wall and ask for help when I need it...I am not supposed to be able to do everything right now....and the sooner I get that through my head, the better off I will be.

9. Eat Breakfast.
Breakfast is important. I have not eaten breakfast on a regular basis since I was in middle school and I think that I need to figure out how to start consuming food (ENERGY!) before I teach every day. It will be a difficult routine for me to get into, although I think important.

10. Keep my spaces clean.
So, I tend to have issues keeping stuff clean - my room, my car, my desk, my email box, you know...everything. I don't LIKE to be that way, I just sort of am. I've decided that I don't want to be that way anymore, and with so many other changes going on, it seems to make sense to get on top of that now...probably easier than later.

I suppose that is it for now. There are more than that, but these are the big ones...and since soemone is reading this, I expect you to help me remember that I've set these. I think that I will in fact write these out and post them on my mirror along with my mirror postings
(Imagine and Be a Hero Today)

My new life starts in less than 24 hours. Time to stop being a college kid and start being a teacher. (Insert deep breath here).

No comments: